Last month, Mobilink, a subsidiary of Orascom Telecom and Pakistan’s largest mobile service provider, officially launched their Wimax service by the name of Mobilink Infinity. The service is currently limited only to Karachi and runs on technology provided by Alcatel and Zyxel.

Already having an established network and a huge existing customer base, Mobilink should have had no trouble competing with Wateen Telecom. However, what should have been a wake up call for Wateen may not see the light of day in the rest of the country.

According to blogger Masud Reza, Orascom has cut further funding for the Wimax service and expansion plans have been put on hold. Worse, there is talk of scrapping the whole Broadband Unit. This may be good news for competitors, but it could have serious ramifications for the country’s already struggling technology sector.

Update: Nov 4, 2008. The blog post was older than their launch in Karachi so it probably is just a rumour. Or, maybe they are confusing the other, somewhat struggling, Orascom subsidiary in Pakistan with Mobilink Infinity.

16 Responses to “Setback for Mobilink Infinity?”

Faraz Siddiqui

March 29th, 2009 - 4:56 am

I am really disappointed with Mobilink’s new Wimax service and I think they should really close the department as it is not doing any good to broadband community . Mobilink has actually developed the culture of subscribing more users regardless of the capacity of their equipment . Unplanned outages, signals disruption and most degraded performance are key attributes of May-be-link . Company has decided the right thing for the consumers . At least people won’t spend their thousands of rupees in their pathetic equipment and service . I am one of the victim of Mobilink .

admin

April 3rd, 2009 - 6:50 pm

Sorry to hear of your ordeal Faraz. Mobilink really needs to do more to retain their customers and ensure customer satisfaction. Though they appear to be cutting funding, they’ll have a tough time competing against other Wimax providers.

zeeshan akram

May 2nd, 2009 - 11:43 am

I got Mobilink wimax last two months back and i found it performance un-satisfactory as it need to put at very first room of the home cause cannot pick signals even moving on another room backward. And most funny part is this service is user use only few GB’s of Data from its limit likely 5GB and obtain bill for RS.1000 for only one month. This shows mobilink is trying to make fool and cheating with customer doing Excess Bill charged to customer.

Salman Hussain Zaidi

May 13th, 2009 - 7:48 pm

I should suggest you not rely on Mobilink infinities customer services as the management in Mobilink Infinity customer service as the customer service management is quite Incompetent to identify customer priority but as far as the product is concerned it is competent enough to cater the need of customer. This will also answer Zeeshan Akrams blog as well.

Madiha Saeed

May 21st, 2009 - 10:28 pm

I work for Mobilink Infinity.
Our billing cycle is from 26th to 25th every month.
FOr example If you purchase the connection on 20th May, then a 5 days’ bill will be generated till 25th May which will be prorated. It will be on daily basis. so your bill will be
(Linerent/30)*5
where 30 is the total number of days in a month and 5 is the days that you’ve used the connection since.
so for the first time, you will only be charged a fraction of your line rent since you’ve not used it for the whole month.
Similarly you dont have the whole 5 GB, but for the first time till the first 25th, you will have a fraction of 5 GB, not the whole of it.
I hope the explanation will help.

Alman

June 15th, 2009 - 1:36 am

I need answer Yes or No.

Waqas Younus

June 20th, 2009 - 7:08 pm

Me and my brother want’s to use Mobilink Infinity WiMax device, is it possible that if we purchase 2 device and use just One 15GB account on both devices in different areas????

Abbas Lakhani

June 22nd, 2009 - 9:23 pm

Not Really… Mobilink really charge watever they want to. The prove is I got the same problem in the first billing month. I called mobilink customer care and complained about the wrong billing. The guy gave the same justification the above representative of mobilink gave. I was supposed to have Rs.580 amount of bill + Rs.100 (prorata billing of 4 days) total Rs.680. but i got Rs.830 in the first month bill. I complained and asked to show me the Log how I exceeded 5GB which they could not produce and in the next month bill, they adjusted Rs.150 of the previous month’s bill. Guys, there is a point that mobilink has accepted about their wrong billing system. There is no law/justice and I am very disappointed with Mobilink Infinity. Maybe within next month I will quit Infinity.
(Amounts mentioned above are rounded caz I dont remember the exact amount, though the issue is real)

Masood Hussain

June 29th, 2009 - 11:04 pm

I’m also agreed with Mr. Zeeshan Akram.I’ve got Mobilink Wimax last month and its service is so disappointed.It feels so bad when i need to connect with internet and the signals aren’t catching properly.No dought Mobilink’s Cellular Service is just amazing but plz do something for Wimax Service.

Saad Haq

July 8th, 2009 - 3:11 am

hey Madiha i got Mobilink infinty in feb 2009 since then i havnet recieved a bill.Why is this so? If my excess bill charges are really high im not going to pay since its your fault that i havent recieved bill.And hen i called the service centre they said when uu used your quota of 15gb we will stop the net from here
so that u wont get charged. So whats happening?My net hasnt stopped no bills recieved.Im only willing to pay 1500 for each month.Not a penny more not a penny less.

Janib Soomro

September 25th, 2009 - 8:44 am

I have used the device for about 3 months. I was never asked/reminded to pay the bill till middle of the 2nd month. I told them to send me the bill but instead of providing all details, they fail to send me bill at my home.
Beside it is easier to pay the bill monthly, I was charged twice the amount that I was supposed to pay. They told me that I have used the downloading limit.
The device is somewhat useful for remote areas in Karachi but not well suited for serious users. If they had sent me the bill in the first month and I would surely have continued their service, but they failed to send the bill even this day, it has been 5months and the service is disconnected now without any confirmation phone call.
It looked like they are not interested in money or have very lazy staff.

owais

September 26th, 2010 - 1:13 pm

very bad service

Qamar Mumtaz

March 24th, 2011 - 10:16 am

Madiha, you know I have purchased about 5 mobilink infinity for different friends, but now a days facing problem in one of our ZyXEL MOdel Number: MAX-216 M1R, 922136176907 that it stops working! the receive signals stop while Tx works so that the communication stops.
See the problem is either connectivity or its modem.
Advise x thanks

Qamar Mumtaz

March 24th, 2011 - 10:26 am

Ok waiting moderation, note that when I switched off the modem and then re-start it, than it works for sometime than again stops working, the practice of shutting down may distroy it.

Ansar Ahmed

May 11th, 2011 - 12:36 am

Very Very Bad service,
when we complaind the not attended while 2-3-4 days left
and just SMS sent dear cosuotmer pls contact our help line
i was headache and removed…….
I don’t want in any Single peny !!!!!!!

HAIDER BUX

August 15th, 2011 - 1:52 pm

Dear Sir i am infinity user since long, I am using yahoo messenger, but since one week yahoo messenger is not working i means do not login, I have already complains on care@mibilinkinfinity.com, but no any suitable solution has been carried out by your dept. Sir I have so much problem, My some relatives are residing in outside of country, so i talk with them through the same service. Please solve my problem. Here is my infinity ID is 922136182400
This time my infinity is also on as your representatives called me on my mobile no. Please do the needful.
Thanks